Lancia 8V In-head thermostat requirements

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Graham Stewart

Lancia 8V In-head thermostat requirements

Post by Graham Stewart »

I have a Beta Spyder 2 litre that currently resides in the South of France. Prior to relocating the car I fitted a low-temperature radiator fan switch and now wish to complete my precautions by fitting a low temperature in-head thermostat to the engine. Can you tell me what list of parts I will require (I have already sourced the GTS 102 thermostat) to complete this, and what components are subsequently connected together when I discard the external thermostat? A source for the parts would also be appreciated.

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so if anyone has pictures of this conversion they would be very gratefully received. I also recall reading in another thread some time ago that it is worthwhile routing around the heater matrix to avoid possible head gasket problems. As the car is only ever used in the summer in the South of France a heater is pretty much superfluous, so any hints and tips on doing this would also be welcome, along with any parts required.

Thanks in advance.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Lancia 8V In-head thermostat requirements

Post by Guy Croft »

The top rail needs to be opened out to accomodate the stat properly and when done it is bonded to the head with silicon sealant - there isn't a suitable gasket for that setup.

The outlet on the rail (red square in photo) thaqt ordinarily goes to the OE external stat needs to be blanked off.

Make sure the GTS stat has a 3mm air bleed hole - if not drill one thru the flange and make sure the rail doesn't close it off (ie: make sure you generate enough clearance when you open it out and makes sure you don't break thru the brazed joint betw rail and flange in doing so..)

That's all,

GC
Attachments
GC Vx short engine.JPG
GC Vx short engine.JPG (35.77 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
Graham Stewart

Post by Graham Stewart »

Guy,

Thanks very much for that; I've got all the parts so can start on it straight away.

Regarding the heater matrix (and routing around it), would you say this is desirable? I do seem to remember reading some posts on here a while back that recommended it in the interests of not blowing head gaskets.

Thanks again,

Graham
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I would not bother doing anything with the heater setup,

G
Graham Stewart

Post by Graham Stewart »

Guy,