PRV V6 combustion burn characteristic

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
WhizzMan

Re: PRV V6 combustion burn characteristic

Post by WhizzMan »

I've been following this for the past week with a lot of interest. My workshop buddy recently bought an A310 and will be interested in this, even though his is an atmo 2.7 one.

Guy, cooling the combustion with piling in fuel may work against detonation, but in my opinion it should only be done to compensate for immediate damage control until you can retard ignition, lower boost or cool the intake. What i was taught is that even with forced induction, going anywhere richer than 12.0/1 or somewhere there about will not give you more power, even if you can increase boost because of it, and it is likely to cause significantly more engine wear due to bore wash and similar effects. If there are ways to do this and gain somehow, I'd love to hear about them.
Book #348
M Faulks

Post by M Faulks »

Thanks Guy. Yes I agree I tend to over worry on these things, but my niggling issue is never knowing if I could have achieved higher performance with a different reasoned approach given these are one-off builds. I did some more work checking rod and crank combinations, and I now have it down to 0.25mm positive above the deck, and will go with that, certainly the lower risk approach thought potentially less interesting or learning.. picking up on the bang it together theme, smile.

I'll collate my flow results and the links. I have tried a flat back valve and this certainly increase the arc of the "fuel" spread pattern, accepting my test approach will tend to wet-out. As expected the trade was in flow, but as you say this may be an acceptable trade as I can increase the over-pressure within the efficiency of the compressor. I’ll get some more pictures and the results in a sheet.

Whizz, A310 sounds good, is this the one on triple webers for sale recently? I've got a general PRV V6 observation and modifications thread on RAOC site that covers the OE options and upgrade of those components over the years of manufacture under project threads, this may be useful to your buddy, and always happy to share, all input is good and welcome.

These are rather amateurish I’m afraid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYAeaUCS ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAzbA7gw ... PALsc-TDN4 from about 7:30.. the hot spot over the short turn is very biased.
GC Insert.xls
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
#31/500
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

The car never was publicly for sale and is completely stock, with the stock Solex carburetors. Any advice on getting those set up properly? The new owner is contemplating a Holley conversion, but I'd rather see him do a conversion to injection with individual throttle bodies, or three double webers, if he has to divert from the fully original state the car is in now.

I'm located in the Netherlands, so it's no use guessing which car it is if you're thinking about the UK population. The seller has requested that the sale be kept confidential, so I'm not allowed to tell more about the history of the car unfortunately.
Book #348