Cylinder boring/honing.

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
4v6

Cylinder boring/honing.

Post by 4v6 »

Hello Guy, i hope youre well.

I am presently building an engine, a 3sgte as found in both the toyota celica gt4 and the Mr2, both turbo applications.
Ive stripped the block entirely of all its core plugs, oil gallery plugs etc and performed a few operations to remove casting flash, sharp edges etc.

Im now at the point of having the block bored and honed to fit a set of JE forged pistons, with the bore size being specified at 86.25mm which from the info supplied indicates that the piston to bore clearances *should* be correct. I will however check it to be absolutely sure before i go further.

The question i have is, have you a recommendation as to whom i could trust the machinework to?
There are a few machineshops in my locality but theyre mostly general engine reconditioners and as such i dont feel they would be able to carry out the work to the required standards, and certainly not to the highest standards you would demand, hence my query.

Here are a few photos of the pistons i intend to use, many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Best wishes, Tony.
Attachments
JE forged piston for 3sgte.
S8000583small.JPG (80.58 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
S8000582small.JPG (86.78 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
S8000581small.JPG (80.3 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi,

since you asked me me personally and I am a race engine builder, I am happy to tell you.

I fully recommend FER member Stanwood Automotive Services (SAS), Bawtry, near Doncaster, tel: 01302 719842. Just make that trip.

They do all GCRE's rebores, and some other very important ops too. They know what my standards are and have done a lot of work for me to a consistently high and diligent standard for over 5 years - so it doesn't get much better than that.
In fact I always do my own finish micro honing - with Flex Hones - grade to suit rings, usually 180 or 240, so I get SAS to bore and 1st stage (parallel stones) to specified size only. They use some other final honing system, few reconditioners use Flex Hone, don't know why. If you need to know anything else ring me please.

GC
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Thank you very much guy, most appreciated, thats fantastic.

I will likely take a V6 toyota block to be bored/honed at the same time.

As they say in Italy, Molto Grazie!
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Sure,

now I am going to lock this thread, feel free to write on other topics, I don't want everyone writing in here with their recommendations for obvious reasons.

GC